RankBrain- The Future of SEO is Here!
Have you ever wondered how search results appear on Google? Did you ever think about the factors that Google considers for websites appearing on the first page when searched?
We bet you’re thinking about it now. If you are, then you have landed on the right page. You will soon be familiar with one of the key factors that Google considers most important for ranking a webpage.
RankBrain is an Artificial Intelligence program which helps in monitoring and processing search results. Launched in early 2015 by Google, RankBrain is considered as the third most powerful signal for ranking of a webpage.
So how does it actually work?How do you use RankBrain to optimize search results?
RankBrain is one of the main components of the search algorithm called Hummingbird.
RankBrain uses artificial intelligence to interpret written content in a way that computer understands. It considers two major factors that helps in website ranking: Users’ behavior and search query.
If the computer does not recognize any word or phrase entered in the search engine, RankBrain will help in finding something with similar meaning and display the results accordingly. RankBrain helps in bringing the closest match to your search query, especially if it’s a first time query.
Google’s goal when introducing RankBrain was to simply break-off from any webpage that does not provide high quality content and help users find most relevant answers. This leads to SEO content being more user focused and specific to topics. RankBrain will help in finding results for not just targeted keywords but also variations of those keywords.
Here is an example on how Google’s RankBrain works:
If you looked for “orange” on Google search bar, Google would look for articles about “orange” from optimization references such as inbound link, H1 tags and anchor text.
According to Google database programming, it is supposed to pull back all the best matches for the term “orange”
The database tells Google that there’s actually a thing called “orange” and it pulls back all the best matched results for the term “orange”
However, maybe what you meant by “orange” was actually “orange telecommunications.” If Google isn’t sure you meant “orange the fruit” or “orange telecommunications”, it may actually throw some alternate results into your query set with the help of RankBrain.
So instead of 10 orange fruit related outcomes, you might get 8 orange fruit related and 2 telecommunications related, or vice versa.r you to understand how the algorithm responds when a query is entered in the search engine.
Now that we know that Google’s RankBrain works mainly on the way the search query is written, here are ways that can help you in optimizing Google’s RankBrain analytics:
- Content – You sure know by now that Content is King! So focus on creating quality content. If your content has an exact match to the query, RankBrain will immediately pick your article and show it as a search result. Use specific keywords that are relevant and adds value to the reader.
- Titles and descriptions – Refrain from using generic titles. Ensure your title is keyword specific and the descriptions in your article are also topic specific. Any generic content will be lost in the plethora of information that’s available online.
- Research – You need to gather all the information needed to produce content that your audience will be looking for. Reader driven content will always help in driving greater traffic to your website.
- Click through rates(CTR) – Focus on having a large number of organic click through rates. You can work on creating content that has keywords in the titles and descriptions and this will help in generating higher CTRs.
- Natural language – Gary Illyes from Google revealed that there is one way that you can optimize for RankBrain. And that is by simply using natural language. By saying natural language, you need to sound more human and have a flow in your content rather than over using keywords.
So how is RankBrain and SEO linked?
The world of SEO revolves around keywords when you are creating content for your site. Google’s algorithm’s main objective is to identify the keywords in the content of a page and put to use in the ranking process. RankBrain, helps in doing exactly this but in the most effective way.
With Google changing algorithms about 500-600 times a year, it is imperative for SEO content writers to stay on top of the search game.
RankBrain will only help you develop content that is more specific to user needs and in the process learn on its own with the aid of artificial intelligence, thereby, providing you with good organic traffic in the long run.
So if you’re still using the same SEO strategies, pause, and revisit the strategy. Change it to better fit Google RankBrain!
Author: Aanchal Iyer
A freelance digital marketer and content strategist with over 11 years of experience, Aanchal is also a trainer and forever in love with good content. The brain behind Content4brands and a performance manager for many companies, she aspires to keep enjoying her work, always.