10 Ways of Implementing Digital Content Marketing Strategy (Perfectly)
What is Digital Content Marketing Strategy?
Have you heard of the term “Content Marketing”?You sure would be familiar with both the words – Content and Marketing, but you must be wondering what they mean together and how to do content marketing exactly?
Before to learn content marketing in detail, here are some statistics and content strategy plan to instigate you to read this article and know the impact effective content marketing strategy can have on your business.
And here is the big one – 79% of internet traffic will be video content by 2018
So, let’s get started then, Content Marketing is a strategic approach in marketing which focuses on sharing valuable, consistent and relevant information online, targeted towards attracting and retaining customers with the aim of driving profits up.
Content marketing is extremely important to your brand / business because:
- It helps you to build a group of loyal customers
- Your brand will build trust amongst its customers
- It will make your business customer centric and focus on customer needs
- Quality content will improve Search Engine Optimization which in turn will increase traffic to your website
- Online content can impact your customers by adding great value and making a difference
Having understood the importance of content marketing to your business, it becomes imperative to have a content marketing strategy. Below statistics will help you in knowing the increasing demand for businesses to create a content marketing strategy.
According to a research, 70% of B2B marketers surveyed opine that the creation of content has significantly increased in 2017 as against 2016. With every passing day, the importance of having good content is intensifying. But the key is not to write random content. It has to be strategized in a way to ensure business gets benefited both in the short and long term and this can be achieved by doing the basic study of SEO content writing tips for beginners.
Here’s what you need to keep in mind while drafting an effective content marketing strategy:
- Define your goal – What is it that your content is aimed at? What is it that you want to achieve? What are the goals for your brand and how and what type of content will help you in meeting those goals. Having clarity in goals will help you in developing high quality, meaningful and relevant content.
- Create a buyer’s persona – Knowing your audience is the key to an effective content strategy. Identify the target audience for whom you are creating this content. Determine if you are addressing their needs, will they find your content engaging and informative. Keep in mind the customer’s journey of making them aware of your products, getting them interested, encouraging them to buy it and bringing them back for repeat sales.
- Define a budget – This is crucial. You must consider two major factors while planning a budget for content marketing:
- Alignment of business and content marketing goals
- ROI in comparison to other means of marketing
There are other factors also that need consideration such as staffing, content marketing tools, channel costing and other fluctuating expenses that may have to be borne if there is a change in marketing strategy.
- Develop content as per the channels –There are multiple channels to communicate content online – videos, podcasts, infographics, etc. Each channel has a different content format and an audience with a different expectation. You need to identify the most effective channel for the content you have developed and present it effectively catering to the audience of that channel.
Here are some popular digital content marketing channels to help you in leveraging your content marketing strategy:
- Social media posts –Social media today, is by far one of the strongest content marketing channels on the internet. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn specifically have transformed the way people communicate. Ignoring social media for content marketing is not possible.
- Whitepapers – Whitepapers are your best official way to address a topic in depth. From the root of the problem to the solutions, whitepapers contain everything about the topic including its technicalities. Companies give a lot of importance to whitepapers.
- Videos – There’s no better form of learning than to see and hear.Videos can be put on social media sites, blogs, and your own website too for wider reach.The concept of viral videos is not new anymore and have a proven record of creating long-lasting impact on the audience.
- Images – Aim to include relevant and valuable images on your websites along with your company’s logo. Images can convey messages faster than text. You can use images to show comparison, growth, cycle of a product development process, etc.
- How-to- guides – Every time we buy something that’s new in the market, we look for a manual to ensure we use the product rightly. Same is applicable with content marketing as well. How-to-guides can be images or videos. What’s important is that they need to be very clear and valuable. Making this available online for customers will make their life simpler when using a new product.
- Info-graphics –They are a fantastic way of communicating plethora of information in an easy and creative manner. You can get all the facts and figures you are looking for at a single glance. Don’t forget to put your company logo on info-graphics as well. Here’s an example of an info-graphic of content marketing statistics .
- Webinars – They are an interactive way of engaging with your customers through a video.Customers watch your videos and then share any questions that they seek answers for.
- Public Relations (PRs) –PRs main responsibility if to identify the “publics” that they business want to engage with and also find ways of reaching them. PRs will be the best person to decide what platforms to use when and control the content marketing strategy.
- Games – Gamification is an effective way of communicating information with your customers. However, they are an expensive channel of digital marketing and extremely time-consuming but offers an innovative way of content marketing.
- Blogging – As per a research 76% of B2B marketers blog and it’s one of the most widely used channels of content marketing. Blogging allows a platform for businesses to share valuable information on a regular basis and also gives room for interaction with audience. But the content has to be precise and relevant. Internet is full of bad content and care should be taken to ensure the marketed content holds value for the audience.
Content Marketing has become an indispensable part of a company’s marketing activity. Your content marketing strategy thus, is of paramount importance to help your organization achieve its goals. The better the content marketing strategy framework, the easier its marketing going to be. So, get on to it, now!
Author: Santosh Krishnamurthy
A Certified Technical Analyst with 11 years of work experience across companies such as TCS, Avaya, and Amdocs, Santosh is passionate about good content. Recognised for his analytical abilities and innovative take on concepts, he is looked up as a technical content specialist across the industry.